Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday: Best/Worst Book Series Endings

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. Check them out! 

This week's topic is the top ten best and worst series endings. Gosh...This one's gonna be hard for me because I'm notorious for starting series and not ending them (or taking forever to). I mean...which book series have I even finished after high school? *hides* 

I mean, it's not like I don't mean to finish series I like. I just tend to procrastinate on it. 

Therefore...I shall draw on YA-ish series I read in high school as well as after. There's a spoiler for Harry Potter, but no spoilers for anything else. I just figure that most of you have read the books or seen the movies for HP.

Best Series Endings


Spoilers alert. I practically grew up with Harry Potter. I started reading the series when I was 9 (and hoping to receive a letter to Hogwarts in the mail when I turned 11), and the last book was released when I was around 17 or 18. 

There were some things I didn't like about this book, such as the fact that the first third of the book is mostly filler, with moody, hormonal teens and all. But the things I loved outweighed them. I loved the revelations and surprises about characters - especially the ones about Snape. I spent most of the series being very suspicious of his character (well, how can I help it?), and in the end he turns out to be a mushball inside. A cranky little mushball. *sniffs* 



Never mind that Valiant was an awkward (almost unrelated) in-between book - Ironside finishes the grungy, urban faerie tale story that Tithe began. It is a well told story with a clever finish. For some odd reason, I kept imagining David Tennant as Rath Roiben Rye...It must be the name. Try saying it with a faux British accent (a real one, if you're actually British). 




Shit really hit the fan in this one. I actually enjoyed the love triangle here. Chloe and her friends are escaping the evil corporation that created them through genetic engineering. She's a necromancer, and her powers aren't the most practical but would come in pretty handy if there are dead bodies nearby. 








Graduation Day by Ann M. Martin (The Baby-sitter's Club Friends Forever Special #2)I had grown up with all these girls throughout elementary. It wasn't just about babysitting; they went through some typical pre-teen/teenager problems too, in terms of romance, friend & family drama, and body image issues. But the overall tone of the series was very light and down-to-earth. Each character had their own handwriting and their own distinct voice. By the end of the years, I felt like I knew these characters. And I did. 
After hundreds of books about these middle school babysitters, Graduation Day was the absolute last 
ever Babysitter's Club book, published in 2000. After about fifteen years in print, the characters Kristy, Claudia, Mary, and Dawn finally graduate from middle school. I was heartbroken and devastated when I saw this at the bookstore. Ann M. Martin's series dominated the juvie fiction bookshelves in the 1990s up to the early 2000s. By now, at my local library, they've been completely phased out. 

________________________________

Worst Series Endings


The Last Battle by C.S. Lewis (Chronicles of Narnia #7) -Spoilers alert. Oh, I loved this series so, so very much as a kid. But the ending sucked. I didn't think too much about the ending in this book as a ten-year-old, but now that I think about it, it's a pretty brutal ending, even for adults. I get how Lewis was trying to pull the Revelations sort of ending, at the very end of Narnia, where the creatures of Narnia end up under judgement of Aslan, and only the good or fearful ones are admitted into heaven. The battle was epic, but what disturbs me is the message sent to children about Susan. Susan stopped believing in Aslan and Narnia, so what ended up happening was that she lost her entire family (siblings, parents included) in a train crash. On the other hand, the other Pevensies, who were God/Aslan-fearing and all that, were rewarded for their faith by dying and going to heaven. They're dead, but at least they have Aslan. Yay...? 
______________________________________

And to be honest, that's all I can think of right now. There are series endings that I feel ambivalent about, such as Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins (Hunger Games #3) and Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer (Twilight #4). They didn't stand out enough to go on the Worst Series Endings list. 

I think I'm just scared of finishing series (that I actually like) because I hate saying goodbye to characters and worlds that I've come to love. *sniffle* (Well, and also because I'm always coming across new series.)

What are some series that you are in the middle of (or stuck)? Thank you for reading!

And...if you ever read a Babysitter's Club book, who was your favorite babysitter?

8 comments:

  1. I used HP and Narnia in the same categories, I have yet to read the rest of the books you wrote about.
    Happy reading!

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Ula. That's cool that you have HP and Narnia in the same categories. Last Battle was pretty brutal to the Pevensies, especially poor Susan.

      Thank you!

      Delete
  2. I love the Baby-Sitters Club! Kristy was (And is) my favorite baby-sitter! I forgot about it while making my own list, nice to see it on someone else's!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, a BSC fan! Kristy is pretty cool. I liked Claudia because of her creativity and addiction to junk food, but also liked Mallory because she got a style makeover and liked to read. :D

      Delete
  3. I felt the same way about Mockingjay and Breaking Dawn. I am nervous about Allegiant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes. Allegiant -- a highly anticipated book. We shall see if it is good or not. I haven't read the series so I'd have to start in the beginning and have a readathon. :)

      Delete
  4. Yes yes yes to The Reckoning! I'm SO Team Chloe and Derek; they are just so adorable together!
    I sadly haven't read the Harry Potter series yet. I will though, hopefully sometime soon in the future.
    Great list & thanks for stopping by my TTT! (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Kelly, you're so welcome. ^_^ Yay for Chloe & Derek! Harry Potter is so good. I miss Rowling's unique writing style. Haven't found another author with a voice similar to hers. *sigh* :)

      Delete