Sunday, October 13, 2013

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? (#2) - CRACKED by Eliza Crewe and OLIVER TWIST by Charles Dickens


Happy Monday (maybe not if you have a super-early shift)! This is a meme hosted by Bookjourney - click here to go to the blog in which you can share the book that you're reading right now. 

Cracked by Eliza Crewe




Publication Date: November 5, 2013

Currently, I'm 8% of the way into Cracked by Eliza Crewe - this is an e-ARC that I received from Strange Chemistry on Netgalley. I posted it as my Waitin' On Wednesday last week, but now I'm actually reading it, and GAWD IT'S GOOD. It's not like, "pretty good;" it's giving me chills and thrills as I'm reading. I'm loving the main character's sassy personality so far. Let's see how the rest of the book goes.


It was published through Penguin Books India earlier this year in April, but it's going on Amazon and other booksellers on November 5. And you know what? I'm excited for this. It's good.

From Amazon:
Meet Meda. She eats people.
Well, technically, she eats their soul. But she totally promises to only go for people who deserve it. She’s special. It’s not her fault she enjoys it. She can’t help being a bad guy. Besides, what else can she do? Her mother was killed and it’s not like there are any other “soul-eaters” around to show her how to be different. That is, until the three men in suits show up.
They can do what she can do. They’re like her. Meda might finally have a chance to figure out what she is. The problem? They kind of want to kill her. Before they get the chance Meda is rescued by crusaders, members of an elite group dedicated to wiping out Meda’s kind. This is her chance! Play along with the “good guys” and she’ll finally figure out what, exactly, her ‘kind’ is.
Be careful what you wish for. Playing capture the flag with her mortal enemies, babysitting a teenage boy with a hero complex, and trying to keep one step ahead of a too-clever girl are bad enough. But the Hunger is gaining on her.
The more she learns, the worse it gets. And when Meda uncovers a shocking secret about her mother, her past, and her destiny… she may finally give into it.
In addition to Cracked, I might as well share you what I'm reading for class. :P It counts too, right? 

Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens


Published 1837-1838


This is for my English literature class. Let's just say that I really enjoy being a literature major. The only downside of being a literature major is graduating. 

I read Oliver Twist in middle school and my reaction was mostly, "Well, that's really sucks for OT." The cool thing about reading it as a college student is now we can go over the historical context in which it was written.

This edition of Penguin has the version of OT that came out as it was being serialized in newspapers. 


Later, Dickens edited Oliver Twist several times. The downside of reading this first edition is that the writing isn't his best - characters are totally melodramatic, fainting all over the place and bursting into tears. Despite his stuffy Victorian writing, I'm having a good time.

From Amazon:
The story of the orphan Oliver, who runs away from the workhouse only to be taken in by a den of thieves, shocked readers when it was first published. Dickens's tale of childhood innocence beset by evil depicts the dark criminal underworld of a London peopled by vivid and memorable characters—the arch-villain Fagin, the artful Dodger, the menacing Bill Sikes and the prostitute Nancy. Combining elements of Gothic Romance, the Newgate Novel and popular melodrama, Dickens created an entirely new kind of fiction, scathing in its indictment of a cruel society, and pervaded by an unforgettable sense of threat and mystery.
 Thanks for reading! What are you reading this Monday?

12 comments:

  1. So nice when a book is a surprising REALLY GOOD rather than a KINDA SORTA GOOD. :-) I love that.

    Here's my It's Monday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heya Deb. It's definitely a pleasant surprise! :) Funny how different the reading high is between a REALLY GOOD and a KINDA-SORTA GOOD. :P Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Yes, what you're reading for class definitely counts in my opinion :-) Especially since it's Dickens!

    Tanya Patrice
    Girlxoxo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tanya! <3 After we finish OT, we're gonna start on David Copperfield and then Great Expectations -- stuff that I missed out on reading back in high school. :) I'm glad I get to read these for school.

      Delete
  3. That is quite a contrast in reading!

    Enjoy your week!

    Shelleyrae @ Book'd Out

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both book sound really good. I'm interested in Cracked! I also need to read more classics, I just never do... *sigh

    Check out what I read this week!
    http://toomanywordstonight.blogspot.com/2013/10/its-monday-what-are-you-reading.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cracked is really good. I'm surprised that it's Eliza Crewe's debut novel. o_O As for classics......I so agree. I'm lucky that I can read some classics for class, but in my spare time I tend to gravitate towards different kinds of books - mainly YA.

      Delete
  5. Enjoy your week.

    Looks like you had a good one.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My It's Monday, What Are You Reading

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like that you shared what you are reading for class. I am reading 1984 for my English class. This will be my 4th reread of it though.

    The cover of Cracked is pretty, def. an eye catcher

    Ashley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! I've read 1984 two or three times - at least twice as assigned reading. Well, it is one of the most assigned books in high school and college classes.

      The cover caught my brother's eye too. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete