Monday, October 21, 2013

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? (#3) - Woodlands, Childhood's End, David Copperfield


Hey, Happy Monday to you. This is a weekly meme hosted by Book Journey. Check it out! 

Over the weekend, I finished Cracked by Eliza Crewe. It was so witty.

I'm currently reading: 

1. The Woodlands by Lauren Nicole Taylor

A YA dystopian novel about a Brazilian girl living in an oppressive, futuristic society in which President Grant is splitting up families. The main character is a lone rebel who is having trouble fitting in this dystopian society. I'm 7% of the way through right now, and it's really good. 

I checked and found out that The Woodlands is free on Kindle right now! I messaged Lauren Nicole Taylor via FB that I was reading her book, and she was really nice.

2. Childhood's End by Arthur C. Clarke

Reading this for my sci-fi class. Aliens invade, but oddly, they just want to offer humanity their technology. It is clear from the beginning that humanity has been outmatched via technology. Soon, the aliens are managing the international affairs of the humans - sure, nations can manage their internal problems, but when it comes to the global stage, the aliens have the final say. 

But what do the aliens want?

With all the advanced technology they could ever need, humanity stops innovating on their own, and their culture deteriorates. 

Much later on, the aliens are supposed to make their intentions clear. But I haven't gotten to that point yet. I'm guessing cheap labor or some form of exploitation.

3. David Copperfield by Charles Dickens

This is for my Charles Dickens class. 

This tome is HUGE compared to Oliver Twist. It's based on Charles Dickens's childhood. I'm half-nervous and half-excited about reading it. Its size is intimidating. 
_________________________

Thanks for reading! What are you up to this Monday?

12 comments:

  1. Have a great reading week!

    Shelleyrae @ Book'd Out

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always loved science fiction and fantasy, but I've yet to read anything by Arthur C. Clarke. Hope you are enjoying it.

    Here's my It's Monday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heya Deb. I'm in the same boat you are; I've heard of Clarke (especially of 2001: A Space Odyssey) but have never read a book by him. Thanks!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the link to the free book. I just downloaded it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When you do finally get through it, David Copperfield will stick with you forever. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello BookBelle, it's good to know that David Copperfield will have a meaningful impact. Come to think of it, David Copperfield's initials are Charles Dickens's initials backwards! :O

      Delete
  5. Oh, cool. I just grabbed a copy of The Woodlands. Thanks! It sounds like a great read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Jennifer! Enjoy reading The Woodlands. :)

      Delete
  6. Wow looks like you have an awesome week ahead of you. Happy reading! :)

    By the way, we are celebrating 300 Facebook “Likes” on the blog so make sure to stop by and enter!

    Our list
    Andy @ Owl Always Be Reading

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey hey Andy. :) Thank you so much, and I'll be sure to check out your 300 FB Likes.

      Delete