Thursday, September 5, 2013

The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner (An Eclipse Novella) by Stephenie Meyer -- Book Review

an eclipse novella

Published: 2010

Genre: YA / Contemporary / Vampires

Okay, so I was curious about Bree Tanner as a character after I saw her in the movie, so I borrowed this book from the library. I must admit that I haven't read Eclipse, but I've read the three other books. The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner is about Bree's short, confused life as a vampire being trained to fight in an army against the Cullens. 

I enjoy Meyer's style of using short, active sentences. It makes the scenes flow fast in a stream-of-consciousness sort of way, since we're reading it in Bree's first-person-perspective. Since it's a novella, this book only has 178 pages and no chapters. It's all one gigantic chapter.

As for Bree as a character, I love her. Unlike Bella, Bree is smart and pragmatic, but she is loyal to the people she trusts. She feels no guilt about killing humans, but I think it's excusable since she is a newborn and doesn't remember much about her past (it's all blurry). 

Her moral reasoning (or lack of) is like that of a kid much younger, though, because she is about fifteen or sixteen when she gets bitten. Throughout the book she sounds like she's thirteen, possibly a side effect of the simple diction and short sentences. I guess this is why they call vampires newborns. Because they're like rambunctious toddlers just waiting to take off and bite someone. 

The story reads fast, but I have a hard time believing that the vampires can cover up such a large number of human victims so quickly without intense federal investigations, especially when it comes to killing off a bunch of rich people on a ferry. So that part's a doozy. 

Overall, I think that this is a good novella to read if you are familiar with the Twilight series. Bree is a smart and loyal character who just wants to survive and figure out her own deal, but is never really given the chance because of factors outside of her control. 



What I would dine on while reading this book: 
  • This book doesn't really make me hungry.

Thanks for reading! Get The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner by Stephenie Meyer on Amazon.

What did you think of Bree Tanner or the novella? Please comment! 

No comments:

Post a Comment