Saturday, September 7, 2013

All Our Yesterdays by Cristin Terrill -- Debut Book Review


Published 2013
Release Date: September 6, 2013
Publisher: Hyperion

Genre(s): Sci-fi Thriller / Dystopian / Time Travel / Romance

Uh, okay--WOW. I mean, what else can I say? I just finished reading this book. I looked for it on the fifth after reading around some blogs on what to read--this one has gotten quite some buzz and the plot sounded interesting. I almost walked out of Barnes and Noble without buying it because it hadn't been shelved yet, but then an employee ran to me holding a bunch of copies. As she handed it to me, I knew I had to buy it. 

The plot is divided between the POVs of Em and Marina, who have completely opposite motives. Em's from the future; Marina's in the present. Em wants to prevent the time machine from ever being invented (yes, a paradox -- suicide mission), while Marina wants to protect her friend. 

It's brilliantly told--the narration is fluid, the dialogue is real, and the suspense keeps me on the edge of my seat as I read. Now, I did get frustrated with Em at some points of the novel. Despite their tough demeanor, she and Finn really suck at completing their mission, and one points it does feel like they mess up just to make the book longer by 150 pages. There are twists. And those are some darn good twists. 

Is the story original? Nah, I've seen the non-YA version of this story in the movie Looper (with Bruce Willis and Joseph Gordon Levitt). But it's well written, and it is refreshing to experience a story with well-developed characters who keep changing as you read.

The stakes are set immensely high, and by the end of the book I've come to love the characters and don't know how to root for. Oh, I can't believe I'm done with this book. I'm sad, BUT it looks like there will be a second book. Cristin Terrill, on her website, states that All Our Yesterdays is the first in a duology (a two-part series). Yay!

So, so good. MAKE IT INTO A MOVIE ALREADY. Gosh.



What I would dine on while reading this book: 

  • a tower of pancakes 
  • a cheese pizza and a soda (screw delivery; it's for me!)
~~~

What would you change if you could travel back in time (if anything)? Let me know in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment