Monday, December 30, 2013

Top Ten Books I Read in 2013

Hosted by the Broke and the Bookish. 

The topic this week is the top 10 books we read in 2013, continuing on the end-of-year theme of 2013's top dogs. Not all of these books were published in 2013, and I had to flip through my Goodreads "read" shelf to recall all of the books I had read. :) 

1. Cracked by Eliza Crewe


A sassy main character who isn't exactly a "good" person, caught in the middle of a battle between demons and Templars.



2. Woodlands by Lauren Nicolle Taylor


A dystopian novel about a girl who finds herself in a high-tech breeding facility - sounds gross, but the high tech keeps it PG. Rosa is a strong protagonist.


3. Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell


A high school first love story between two teenagers living on the margins of society in different ways: Eleanor lives in poverty with her stepfather, mother, and siblings, and Park is a half-Caucasian, half-Korean living in Nebraska.


4. Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas


I have a soft spot for novels about assassins, especially ones that like to read.


5. All Our Yesterdays by Cristin Terrill


A well-plotted time travel story. I had to sit back and not do anything for a few minutes after finishing it. This should be made into a movie.


6. Poison by Bridget Zinn


A cute fantasy story about a poisons master on a quest to kill the queen. Sadly, this light and bubbly world will not be built upon because Bridget Zinn passed away in 2011.


7. Metro 2033 by Dmitry Glukhovsky


A morbidly fascinating tale about a young man's quest through the old metro tunnels. The language is haunting, and the dark corners of the tunnels contain many mysteries and horrors.


9. Saga (Vol. 1) by Brian Vaughan and Fiona Staples




A comic with relatable (and likable) main characters, amazing dialogue, and artwork that blows my mind. It's a fast read; I recommend it.


10. Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones


Yes, you've probably seen Miyazaki's making of it, and I did too, before I read the book. The novel fleshes the characters out more, and is of a lighter and more humorous tone than the anime. I enjoyed reading it.


Thanks for reading! 

10 comments:

  1. Eleanor and Park is amazing. It is my favorite book of the year. Many of your other books are popular in my library, though I haven't read them.

    Anne@My Head is Full of Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anne, *high five* E&P is the best. Your library must be awesome then. I have only seen two of the titles in my list at my local library!

      Delete
  2. I loved All Our Yesterdays, it made my list too. I'm so excited for the sequel! :) My TTT list: http://aliceinreaderland.com/2013/12/30/13/

    Alice @ Alice in Readerland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Alice, I'm looking forward to the sequel too! It's interesting how it's going to be a duology rather than a trilogy. The bright side is that there is no awkward middle book. The not-so-bright side is that it'll be over after the sequel! :)

      Delete
  3. I've heard a lot of great things about Throne of Glass. Happy New Year!

    http://thebookconnectionccm.blogspot.com/2013/12/top-ten-tuesday-top-ten-books-i-read-in.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cheryl. Throne of Glass is indeed a good read. I hear that Crown of Midnight (the sequel) is way better. I'm getting giddy here just thinking of it. ;) Happy New Year to you too.

      Delete
  4. I looooved Eleanor & Park! It was unexpectedly beautiful, and I'm so happy my friends forced me to read it :D All Our Yesterdays was also bloody amazing! I can't wait to reread that one. The ending was insane!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiya Amber. I loved E&P for its sweetness and for its depiction of a lot of real issues that teenagers go through. Give your friends a hug for me; those are some keepers you got there. ;) All Our Yesterdays...bwahhh. I actually own a copy of that (I borrow or read most of mine on the Kindle). I saw the ending coming but it still packed a big punch when it came.

      Delete
  5. Great list. You've got some really amazing books on your list. I really need to read some Rainbow Rowell, have heard nothing but amazing things about her books. Happy New Year :) My TTT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bookworm. :) Happy New Year to you too! Please do read Rowell's books when you can. They're very sweet even though they deal with mature issues.

      Delete