An early wish of a happy new year to you, since this week contains the very first days of 2014!
I've gotten stuck in a book I'm trying to finish. It's not really holding my interest, to be honest. I'm not sure whether to abort the mission or to just start reading a book that I've started reading on the side.
- Yeck, Forbes has an article on The Big Retail Brands That Drove Consumers Away This Holiday. I feel really bad for Barnes and Noble. It is hard to compete with the selection that Amazon offers--while I was shopping for textbooks, Barnes and Noble didn't have three of the lesser known titles I was looking for, but Amazon did. I'm a little surprised by Marshalls, but their sister, TJ Maxx, has become a lot more visible as a brand in the past few years.
- Heads up! A bunch of Netflix movies will expire on January 1st--and the new year looms close. While the removal of Killer Klownz from Outer Space makes me sigh in relief and hang up my klown-these are no ordinary clowns-killing axe, I am sad to see good movies like Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind go. Find out which titles are about to expire on Vulture.
- Winter has come! And here is a reading list of 25 books to read before they're movies. :)
- Here's a great list with photos of the Biggest Transgender Moments Of 2013: Chelsea Manning, Fallon Fox, Laverne Cox, and More. I didn't know about Chelsea Manning (who revealed her transgender plans after her trial for leaking classified government documents) until this article!
- Sometimes I wonder about how differently I would have turned out if I had read different books as a kid. Maybe my parents could have produced a scientist or a doctor (*wink*) if I had read science-y books instead of the Chronicles of Narnia. From HuffPost is a list of Young Adult Sci-Fi That Will Get Readers Psyched About Science. That's right, my friend: this is YA Sci-Fi. I ate, drank, and breathed YA Fantasy as a teen, and look where I am now. ;)
- Ereader or paper books? The debate itself has grown old and wrinkly, with the ereader people yelling, "Convenience! Space! Portability! Good for my arthritis!" and the paper people yelling, "Collector! Will survive digital apocalypse! I like to hold them in my hands!" Kevin O'Kelly's take on the eBooks vs. Print debate? Actually a Nonissue.
- Prepare to be mind-blown: this T-Rex Optical Illusion Will Creep You Out And Blow Your Mind. Just watch it until the end. It's INSANELY genius!
Thanks for reading! Enjoy your celebrations. I go back to school next week. :(