Sunday, March 9, 2014

Sunday Scoop #19

Photo Source: Venture Galleries

Hello, welcome to the Sunday Scoop. I'm a few episodes into Being Human (UK), and I've finally started writing my thesis project. My poly and I went to see 300: Rise of an Empire today, and Eva Green's performance was STUNNING. She is my new Hollywood crush.

So, for this week:

  • "Comparison is the thief of joy." how to be a happy blogger from Scathingly Brilliant blog gives morale advice to anyone who's starting out with a blog. Judging one's worth in comparison to others is always a losing battle. There's you, and then there's you. 
  • 10 Reasons Self Published Authors Will Capture 50 Percent of the Ebook Market by 2020. The market is changing, and if you've paid attention to the top selling ebooks charts on Amazon, you will have observed that there are more and more self published authors making it to the top. Attitudes towards self publishing are becoming more positive but there is still stigma. I know a few book reviewers who refuse to review self published books. I completely agree with the point that the relationship between writers and publishers is changing. One of the perks of self publishing is that an author wouldn't be pressured by a publisher/editor to conform to certain genre staples like a love triangle (ugh). 
  • As someone who has studied four languages and retained three (American English, Mandarin Chinese, and Spanish), I find this extremely cool: Girl Speaks Gibberish With Perfect Accents to Show What Languages Sound Like to Foreigners. I've noted how some of my friends have raised eyebrows at each other's languages (particularly those of Vietnamese and Tagalog) because they found the intonations of each other's languages unusual. Having spoken Mandarin Chinese all my life, I'm conscious of how differently the sounds and music of each language are processed to the native speaker than to the unfamiliar ear. I've also wanted to show monolingual American English speakers how American English sounds to other folks. This concept is so beautiful - this girl captures the musical rhythms of each language. 
  • Hahaha! On Refinery29: The Most Terrifying Cat Video of All Time replaces dinosaurs in the scary Jurassic Park scene with giant cats. I didn't expect to cackle, but I did. Sorry, folks at Refinery29. I'm still on Team Cat.
  • Ever wondered what folks in your state like to read? Before the Internet became accessible to so many, I would read a book and wonder how many others out there were reading it at the same time. From Parade is The Most Popular Book in Each of the 50 States
  • Recently I've been downsizing on novelty purchases - mostly trying to avoid buying things that I don't need. If I buy a book, it will be specifically for a collection, not just for reading (I'll leave that to my Kindle). ZenHabits offers us a Simple Living Manifesto: 72 Ideas to Simplify Your Life. Like with most minimalist guides, a lot of the tips should be taken with a grain of salt. The writer acknowledges this, too. Since I like clothes, you won't be seeing me reducing my wardrobe to a few pieces that are simple or similar in style and colors. That would take the flavor out of life for me! But I can downsize in other areas. 
Thanks for reading! Have a great Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment