Sunday, March 16, 2014

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? (3/17/2014)

This wonderful meme is hosted by Sheila of BookJourney. :)

Hi! Hope your Monday is going well. These upcoming days will be finals week for UCSD, so my reading has slowed down a bit. But it's fine. I have a HUGE list of books that I want to read for spring break. It's better to aim big, right? :P


This week, I finished reading:



A post-apocalyptic society descended from a group of children who were left on an island, during a time in which biological weapons caused all adults to sicken and die. As the children grew and successive generations were formed, a religion was formed on their belief that a magical ship would come back for them. Walt, a young man in this society, begins to form doubts once he witnesses a horrible act. This is the second installment in her Island work, but I strongly believe that it can stand alone. 
A novel about the life of a refugee Vietnamese family in America from the perspective of a young girl. The language is poetic, and the novel takes the form of a series of fictional memoirs that are so convincing that I thought this was a memoir of the author at first. 

Ongoing reads:




A romance between a 19-year-old Afghanistan veteran Aidan who's lost his arm and a 17-year-old teenager named Kate who suffers from Type 1 diabetes. 
Slowly chugging along this wonderful guide on living the simple life based on the works of J.R.R. Tolkien. It's such a pleasure to read a little at a time. 
A story about two brothers fresh out of adolescence who move out of their toxic home environment to achieve their dreams of a better life. But their path to success is full of obstacles: they struggle to make ends meet as they go to college while working migrant jobs. 
_________________________________

Thanks for reading, and have a wonderful Monday!

10 comments:

  1. The Summer I Found You sounds like an interesting read - I hope you enjoy all your upcoming reads, and can squeeze in some time for them!
    :-)
    Bits & Bobs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jade! I will definitely squeeze in some time...after finals. ;)

      Delete
  2. The premise of The Summer I Found You is interesting. Hope you are able to enjoy your spring Break!
    Shelleyrae @ Book'd Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shelley, I am already looking forward to my spring break!

      Delete
  3. The Gangster We Are All Looking For sounds amazing! I will have to check it out. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Quixotic Magpie! The Gangster We Are All Looking For was picked as the San Diego read of 2011, and I'm glad I finally got to it now! Check it out when you have time. :)

      Delete
  4. I loved The Waves. Jen is such a good author :) I'm loving the look of your current reads especially The Wisdom of the Shire. Happy Reading!
    Here's myIt's Monday Post

    -Kimberly @ Turning the Pages

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Kimberly! I can't wait to read Jen's upcoming installment on the Island series. Wisdom of the Shire is great. :) I almost don't want to finish it because it's so good. And thank you!

      Delete
  5. The Wisdom of the shire looks very interesting, I was not aware of this one and I think I'll pick it up. Sounds great! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Greg! Definitely check it out - it's very enriching to my life and I hope it will be to yours too.

      Delete