Sunday, March 9, 2014

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? (3/10/2014)

Hosted by Sheila @ BookJourney. :)

Hi! Hope your week is doing well so far. 

This week, I'm reading a smattering of books for fun. Oddly (or maybe not-so-oddly), I'm getting into a range of fun reads in these final weeks of the quarter. What a procrastinator. *self scolds* 

Just finished this week:




A delightful, short mystery novel set in the 1930s with the granddaughter of Dr. Watson, a spin-off of the Sherlock Holmes detective mysteries by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. Also a great read for fans of the BBC Sherlock show. I'm falling in love with the Sherlock universe. Review coming up at the end of March, during the blog tour.

Continuing on Rosa adventures in this dystopian world in which The Superiors impose standards of All Kind on the population, an ideally mixed race in which everyone looks the same: blue eyes, black hair, a specific shade of caramel-toned skin. It was really good. See my review.

A post-apocalyptic dystopian novel about a society of folks based entirely off of the teachings of a Star Wars book. Review coming up on Tuesday. I didn't like it, but if you're curious about the premise of a society ruled by belief in The Force, you can check it out since it's free on Amazon. See my review

This would make a great gift book - everything you love about the Grumpy Cat memes hanging out together grumpily in one book. I read it on my ereader and still enjoyed it very much. It helped me get through those more stressful days of the week. :)

Ongoing reads: 


Smith takes the lessons we learn in The Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings trilogy and applies them to our lives. There is much wisdom to be gleaned, particularly from the Shire, in which Hobbits live simple and fulfilling lives. 
A parallel novella to The Island, this can stand alone. I enjoyed this immensely compared to its predecessor. Walt as a main character is much more compelling than Leia was. Also, the concept of post-apocalyptic societies built around child survivors and how stories can gradually morph into restrictive social structures and religions is explored more thoughtfully here. 

Thanks for reading, and have a wonderful Monday. How was your weekend?

12 comments:

  1. Grumpy cat looks cute. You can check out my Monday here

    http://www.kyliesreads.blogspot.com.au/2014/03/its-monday-what-are-you-reading_10.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heya Kylie, Grumpy Cat is indeed cute. I recommend it!

      Delete
  2. Fun is good!
    Have a great reading week,
    Shelleyrae @ Book'd Out

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really loved Wisdom of the Shire! And Noble Smith is a really nice author, I have chatted him on Twitter a few times! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Quixotic Magpie! I'm so glad you've read Wisdom of the Shire too; and it's good to hear that Noble Smith lives what he writes. <3 It's a lovely book, and I'd love to check out his other writings once I finish it.

      Delete
  4. Very nice selection of books. Jewel of the Thames caught my eye.

    My post: http://www.bookclublibrarian.com/2014/03/weekly-book-recap-57.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Catherine! Jewel of the Thames is one fine gem of a book. :)

      Delete
  5. I'm a fan of the Sherlock universe too. I'm currently reading a book that has Arthur Conan Doyle as the main character. Come see my Monday Report if you get a chance. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heya Kathy! A book that has Arthur Conan Doyle as the main character sounds FANTASTIC - I'm stunned by all the creative spinoffs that have come out. I'll check out your Monday Report for sure. :)

      Delete
  6. As a fan of Sherlock Holmes - although strangely enough not the BBC show - Jewel of the Thames has caught my eye, and shorter novels are so easy to whiz through.
    Happy Reading!
    :-)
    Bits & Bobs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jade! I didn't like the BBC show at first, but the Cumberbatch Sherlock grew on me in time. Which television/movie renditions of Sherlock have you enjoyed?

      I think you'd enjoy Jewel of the Thames. The writing is reminiscent of the Doyle style, except a teensy bit more modern (after all, this is the 1930s) and directed at a young adult audience. Happy reading to you too! <3

      Delete