Sunday, June 15, 2014

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? 6/15/2014

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is a meme hosted by the wonderful Sheila of BookJourney.

This week has been a big one: I graduated from UCSD! These past six years have been one giant circle back to what I wanted to do when I first graduated from high school--major in English/literature and work with literature/texts. I've explored other career paths such as pre-med and pre-optometry, and despite my half-hearted attempts to ignore the call of my first passion, these forays ultimately reminded me of what I really enjoyed. We'll see where this next phase of my life takes me.


While I was working on my thesis project, I missed participating in this meme. I can't wait to see what you're reading this week.
What I Read:
World of Warcraft: War Crimes by Christie Golden
The latest addition to the World of Warcraft saga. This story has the structure of a court drama, but is set in Azeroth., in which all the leaders of the contesting factions Horde and Alliance convene to make him accountable for his crimes, which range from torture and murder to the destruction of the environment. But the question is, what should his punishment be, life imprisonment or death penalty? While researching for this novel, Christie Golden tapped into our own history of the Nuremberg Trials.

See my review of War Crimes here.

What I'm Currently Reading:
The Deep by Jen Minkman
This third installment to her Island series, which began with two factions of people on an isolated island, all who are descended from children who were abandoned on the island amid an epidemic that killed all adults. One group of descendants believed in waiting for a goddess named Annabelle to come save them, while the other lived by rules from a Star Wars book. 

***

A modest list of reads, but I'm working on it. ;) In addition to this, my hubster and I are catching up on movies at the theater this week, since I was too busy with finals to attend their premieres.

X-Men: Days of Future Past

Other movies we plan to see are: 
The Fault in Our Stars
Maleficent
22 Jump Street

...Any other recommendations? :)

13 comments:

  1. Congratulations on graduating!!! Happy reading! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! That's a big accomplishment!

    Here's my It's Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on graduating! Have fun reading and going to movies. I usually wait until I can buy the DVD. I'm not so eager to see any movie that I can't wait. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Kathy, thank you. :) Waiting for a DVD is a good idea too since you can keep the disc for future views after you've seen it once.

      Delete
  4. Congrats!!! And it so good you followed your heart!

    The Minkman series sounds cool! I will have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Quixotic Magpie. :) I appreciate your words on following my heart. Sure, check out the Minkman series--I liked the second installment more than the first one.

      Delete
  5. Congratulations! How awesome. Glad you did something you enjoy, so many people major in the wrong thing for the wrong reasons. The Deep definetly has a different premise, with the Star Wars angle...

    Have fun at the movies, and let us know what you think of X-Men!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Greg! Your encouragement means a lot to me. Indeed, The Island series does have quite a unique premise in that aspect.

      I'll let you know what I think about X-Men, although it'll be from the movie-goer's perspective. ;)

      Delete
  6. Congratulations on your graduation!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Trying to get rich in World of Warcraft?

    Consider Installing the TYCOON GOLD ADDON.

    It will automatically find the most profitable gold strategies in the game, in seconds.

    ReplyDelete