Sunday, January 19, 2014

Sunday Scoop #14


Hey. :) Welcome to the Sunday Scoop. Instead of being a good student and studying Middle Earth lore on Friday night, I had a mini-nostalgia marathon in which I watched more of the Babysitter's Club show. 

However, I have been studying and listening very carefully during lectures. This week, I learned that orcs were supposedly once elves that were kidnapped, enslaved, and corrupted by Melkor, who was pretty much Sauron's boss. The professor pointed out that this is unbelievable because the orcs and the elves look and speak nothing alike. They have absolutely nothing in common, and therefore perhaps it was something that Tolkien pulled out of his butt when writing The Silmarillion

Oh, and by the way, Aragorn and Arwen are cousins. 

(Long, awkward silence.)

*clears throat* Ahem. Well, then. Let's move on:
  • Oh my god - Bigfoot Erotica is Not Just a HoaXXX from Huffpost covers a subgenre of erotica that I had never considered beforehand. I cannot read this with a straight face. Then again, I'm a sucker for toilet jokes, so this shouldn't come as a surprise. Come to think of it, it was only a matter of time (like decades, centuries...) before someone featured Bigfoot in an erotic way. And holy smokes, the author makes a TON of money doing this. Does this mean the love scenes are THAT good, or are the readers just n00bs to the world of erotic fiction? I'm strongly tempted to find out...
  • 5 Signs You're a Modern Day Flapper gives you an idea of what our 2014 contemporary counterpart of the 1920s flapper looks and acts like. I think it's an interesting discussion about the parallels and not-so-parallels in sexual emancipation, fashion, dancing, independence, and drug use between the two eras of young flappers. 
  • You may be well aware of the dystopian craze that's going on right now in YA lit. In his HuffPost article Dystopias Aren't Just Great Literary Fun, They're Excellent Social Barameters, Adam Sternbergh splits dystopian literature into two categories: the ones based on too much order, and the ones based on disorder. Then, he proceeds to give us a fantastic list of dystopian novels (not necessarily YA), both older and newer works. I am fascinated by his intro to Logan's Run and have been meaning to read Super Sad True Love Story for a very long time. 
  • Aerie has come out with a new ad campaign called Aerie real, in which the lingerie models are not airbrushed. The inner skeptic in me wonders just how much is untouched in this gimmicky move (as the models are sitting in belly-minimizing poses), but fuzzy feelings stir at the sight of the models with soft bellies and inner arm cleavage. These models are, in no way, fat. They are still conventionally thin (well, minus the mouthwatering curves) and attractive. But they have not been airbrushed into smooth lines of plastic perfection. These are soft, lumpy women that many people can relate to.

    I would also like to see some other body types, too, such as women who are naturally thin to the point of being perceived as unattractive, and larger women who might lack to conventional silhouette. This is so that the campaign would include women of all types of body shapes, so that we don't just replace one beauty ideal with another. 
  • How (Not) To Tick Off A Literary Superfan from B&N Blog shows the etiquette in dealing with the major geeks in our lives. I personally disagree with #3; I feel that making comparisons leads to enlightening discussions, even when there is a huge argument. If a comparison isn't that great, then the party with more knowledge can offer a better one. My English lit professor last quarter was a huge fan of Dickens. To insult David Copperfield was to invite a punch to the face. :) Not literally, of course.
  • Why do you read? B&N offers up 10 Reasons We Read. I love #8, which is that books are a relatively cheap form of entertainment. Unless you are a collector. #2 is also how I managed to get my parents to believe I was studying when in fact, I was romping around in Narnia with Eustace and Jill. 
  • This one made me smile: 17 Best Bromances in Literature. A good list - many of my favorite literary friendships are on there. But how could they leave out Gilgamesh and Enkidu? That was one of the ancient and most intense bromances ever. Since they included Fitzgerald and Hemingway as real-life bros, I would also like to include Tolkien and C.S. Lewis. 
Aside from all of this, California's about to enter a drought. It's been so hot and dry lately, and I hope it will pass soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment