Sunday, February 15, 2015

It's Monday! What Are You Reading (2/16/2015)

This fabulous weekly meme is hosted by Sheila of BookJourney. 
One of the things I appreciate most about the book blogger community is that we all come together from different walks of life. From parents to young teens, from the wild and free bohemians to the conservative, family-oriented folk, we all share a common interest: reading awesome stuff and writing about it. :) Happy Valentine's Day! Hope your Valentines weekend went well.

Last Week:


Author Q&A with Jen Minkman: Part 1 and Part 2. It was really fun talking with Jen about her life as an author (part 1) and her work on the Tales of Skylge series (part 2). She's from the Netherlands and has is working on a dystopian fantasy series, which is an interesting combo of genres!


Okay, not really sure if any of you here are synthpop fans. But if you are, I made a review of the Attack of the Titans album by Hyperbubble. EVERYTHING in this album was synthesized, from noise machines to the usual synthesizers. Quite experimental. After I listened to this, I felt like my street cred had gone up by two points.


I swear, it's like I have two crazy sides. One side likes fantasy and rugged-looking elf folk, while the other side loves to read super-girly stuff like The Secret Diamond Sisters by Michelle Madow. I'd been looking for a new series to indulge my inner Gossip Girl, and here it is! See my review.

This week, I am reading:


The Inferno by Dante Alighieri. 
I finally decided my 2015 goal, which is to continue my literary education by reading and thinking about more classics. (P.S. This might take me a while to finish.)


The College Chronicles: Freshman Milestones by Kelly Owen
This is about a student's first year in Charlestowne College, which is in the South. The descriptions of the place (and the reason that Cadence chose to attend that school in particular) scream of a small liberal arts college. It's great so far!


Hope for Garbage
by Alex Tully
This one's about an older teen living with his alcoholic uncle. Coming of age problems, overcoming adversity, finding hope, etc. The feel of the story so far is a grittier Jerry Spinelli.

***

Thanks for checking out my Monday! Hope yours is going well too! Feel free to leave a comment. :)

13 comments:

  1. Very true re the book blogging community. The Aussie one is very supportive. I'm always asking stupid questions on our FB page!

    I'm actually keen to find some UK book bloggers so want to look into that community as well!

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Deborah, I didn't know there was a specifically Aussie blogging community--that's great! :) Good luck with your ventures into the UK blogosphere.

      Delete
  2. Great reads! I like what you said about the book blogger community - I fully agree :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sheila, thank you for bringing so many people together with your meme! :)

      Delete
  3. Well said about the book blogging community- and very true. such a great group - we're all blessed to be a part. I enjoyed your interview with Jen Minkman, very nice- and Hyperbubble. Not familiar with them- but curious now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there Greg! Blessed indeed. I'm glad you enjoyed the Jen Minkman interview and Hyperbubble review! The synthpop duo is quite eclectic. <3

      Delete
  4. Well said about the book blogging community- and very true. such a great group - we're all blessed to be a part. I enjoyed your interview with Jen Minkman, very nice- and Hyperbubble. Not familiar with them- but curious now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read The Inferno in high school though I must admit I don't recall much of it.

    Have a great reading week,
    Shelleyrae @ Book'd Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shelley! It's all good, there are some books that are fuzzy in my memory from my school days too.

      Delete
  6. I like lots of different kind of books, too, so you're okay. :-)

    Here's my It's Monday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Deb Nance, thanks for the reassurance. ;)

      Delete
  7. I mostly read historical fiction and crime thrillers, but every once in a while my inner 14-year old needs feeding. The Secret Diamond Sisters will take care of that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elizabeth, that's a great way to describe it! My inner 14-year old can be a glutton at times, haha.

      Delete