Sunday, January 25, 2015

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? (1/26/2015)


I still can't believe it's 2015 already! Time has been passing by quickly. I've been very busy with work and also as a staff writer for College News, so it is taking me a bit longer to finish reading novels. But I am still reading! It just takes me longer to finish one. Haha.

This week I finished reading: 

Sound of Sirens
by Jen Minkman
(Tales of Skylge #1)

After reading Jen Minkman's The Island series, I was stunned by how different this novel is in comparison to the ones in her former series, possibly because in this novel, possibly because Minkman draws inspiration from the history of her home country, the Netherlands. Sound of Sirens takes place in an island in which two groups of people live: the Currents and the Skylgers. The Currents are the rich ruling class who came from across the sea, while Skylgers are natives to the island. Electricity exists, but the Currents hoard it. The island is surrounded by mysterious merfolk whose siren calls lead hypnotized island folk to their watery doom. It seems that neither Currents nor Skylgers are immune to the call of the Siren. See my review here.


The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender
by Leslye Walton

I remember putting this one on my "Currently Reading" list in some previous "It's Monday!" memes a while back, but I didn't finish reading it until this week, and I was so glad that I finally sat down to enjoy it. I heard a lot about its magical realism but I didn't fully realize it until I started seeing things happen. THE LANGUAGE IS SO BEAUTIFUL. *weeps on your shoulder* See review here.

12 comments:

  1. Wow, I'm drawn to the cover of The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender... not to mention the title!

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Deborah! The feather sure is pretty.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Hi Sheila, Sound of Sirens is very good. Thanks for stopping by. :)

      Delete
  3. Both books have amazing covers and the titles sound so intriguing!

    Brooke at http://www.brookeblogs.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brooke, I love the covers for these books. They're so blue and dreamy.

      Delete
  4. Both have attractive covers and sound great, enjoy!

    Shelleyrae @ Book'd Out

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that turquoise cover!! I hope you enjoy them and that I get to see your lovely face around my blog

    Katelynn
    www.literarychameleon.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Katelynn! I'm about to visit your blog right now. :)

      Delete
  6. The cover for Ava Lavender is beautiful!! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete