Sunday, April 27, 2014

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? 4/28/2014

This cool meme is hosted by BookJourney. Check it out!

I've been swept up with research and my creative thesis project over the past few weeks, and have neglected to post what I've read! So here is the update, which will be more of what I've read this month. <3 Hope your weekend was great!

Here are the books I finished since last month:


Set in Azeroth, this is about how the Scarlet Crusade, in its zeal to eradicate the Scourge from the world, fell to corruption from the inside. We get to see a more personal picture of the paladin Alexandros Mograine and his sons, Darion Mograine and Renault. The forging of the legendary Ashbringer weapon is finally brought to Light. See my review.

In terms of storytelling, this fantasy, swords-and-sorcery adventure of two half-orc brothers is quite delicious, even though it uses the classical tropes and doesn't deviate from Tolkien's race designations (elves are beautiful and smart, orcs are slightly stupid and brutish, and humans make a lot of babies). I really enjoyed the story and ended up scarfing it down fast. See my review. Also, it's free on Amazon.

Storytelling was okay but didn't pull me into a sinful all-nighter sesh. Perhaps a sign of my YA dystopian burn-out: I read it and groaned when I came across the layout of the city into five personality qualities. I had trouble believing that a futuristic society with advanced technologies would have children swearing to their new faction with such an unsanitary practice of cutting open your hand and letting blood drip on a glass. Gross. 


A vampire novella that strongly influenced Bram Stoker's Dracula, featuring a female vampire who sneakily infiltrates into a family and then proceeds to take away everything from a girl, including her sexual innocence and credibility. Read this for my vampire literature class. (Haven't been able to find a free copy on Amazon, but I'm sure it's on Project Gutenberg somewhere.)

A Victorian novel about the tensions between the industrialized north of England (particularly Manchester) and the aristocratic southern countryside. I read this for my British literature class, and enjoyed the social commentary and family/romantic drama a lot. There is a BBC show based on this, and it's free to stream on Netflix and Amazon Prime! The ebook is free on Amazon.

10 comments:

  1. I'm listening to the audiobook of North and South right now and I am enjoying it. I've watched the miniseries perviously and I have enjoyed that as well. :)
    http://youmeandacupofteablog.blogspot.com/2014/04/its-monday-life-school-and-pursuit-of.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Lois! Great to hear that the miniseries is good. I'll definitely check it out as soon as I can. :)

      Delete
  2. Quite a mix of reads this week! I played WOW a few times when I was younger :)

    Have a great reading week
    Shelleyrae @ Book'd Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Shelley! That is so cool that you used to play WoW. I'm so glad to meet another fellow WoWer.

      Delete
  3. Nice variety of books. I read Divergent but haven't had a chance to read Insurgent or Allegiant yet. They are really popular with my high school students right now. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kathy. :) The Divergent series is insanely popular among teens right now!

      Delete
  4. I haven't played Wow but did play the older Warcraft games and always thought Azeroth was kind of a cool world. That Wow book sounds fun. I'm still thinking of whether or not to read Divergent, IK liked the movie but not sure if I want to tackle the books or not...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Greg! You know what, I've always been curious about the older Warcraft games, especially since they contain the older lore that I only read about in books. Divergent was just okay for me, but I know a lot of my friends enjoyed Divergent and Insurgent, but hated Allegiant.

      Delete
  5. ENJOY your books. North and South looks good to me.

    Have a good rest of the week.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My It's Monday, What Are You Reading

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woo, sorry for the late response! Thank you, Elizabeth. N&S was a wonderful read.

      Delete